07 November 2009

I haven't been posting much at all lately because I've had sick kids! None of them have caught the swine flu (yet) but it seems they've caught everything else that's been going around---one gets it, passes it on to the next, and so forth; by the time the last one gets over it, someone else gets something else and the cycle starts again.

In addition to that, I had to rush the four-year-old to the dentist because I was brushing his teeth and noticed part of one tooth was discolored. I thought he had gotten something on it but it wouldn't come off, so I looked more closely and realized that very high up on the gum he was getting an abcess!! It looked just awful so I hurried him to the dentist. They said that there was a huge abcess under the gum that was beginning to go through the skin. It wasn't a cavity---he must have fallen and damaged the tooth. They had to pull it. He was a brave little fellow about the entire situation.

I'm telling you this for your own information---if you have small children, and they fall and hurt their mouths, even if it doesn't seem all that serious, keep a close eye on them. The dentist told me this probably happened a while ago and that children commonly do not complain about tooth pain. I had never heard of such a thing! I am glad we caught it when we did, before the infection spread and turned serious. It was bad enough they had to give him antibiotic, which they don't normally do for children, according to our dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment