02 October 2009

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:1-2)

My study Bible has an interesting note on this verse: the word "looking" in verse 2 comes from the Greek aphorao. Apo means away from, and horao means to see. It means setting one's undivided attention on an object---in this context, it means having eyes for no-one but Jesus. I love the last part of the passage---Jesus not only is the author of our faith, but also its completion. There is nothing more that needs to be done---He paid the price IN FULL for our salvation through His death on the Cross, and the sacrifice which brings us salvation is completed. Nothing we do can ever bring us closer to salvation, because it has already been bought and paid in full by Jesus Himself. We need only accept His gift of salvation. I would say He is more than worthy of our undivided attention!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that verse also. As long as our eyes are "toward the prize" (heaven), we keep our eyes on Him and we keep Living for Him, we will be with Him, but that is the key. Too many people either forget about Acts 2:38 and don't realize that it means to take action. Repent, (turn away from our sinful ways), be baptised in Jesus' Name (not the Titles)for the remission of sins and we SHALL receive the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is what leads us into all truth and will guide us in our journey of being saved. Yes, He died for us, but that's not where it stops. He also says if we love Him we will keep His commandments, which means living for God. I love your blog. Please don't take offense to what I have written today. I love the Lord and enjoy discussing His Word. If you're interested, I have an article which was published on Associated Content.com, or you can link to it from my Facebook page, Patti Creek/Facebook.com. You might find it enjoyable, or at least interesting reading, (I hope). Please respond to my blog, as I would really enjoy communicating with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I don't take offense. I agree that if we love Jesus we will keep his commandments but the fact that we obey him does not purchase our salvation. His death on the Cross paid the full price for our salvation. The response of a truly saved person will be to follow and obey.

    ReplyDelete